Friday, April 8, 2011

the ending of an era

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that it's Friday.

I know, I know. For most people, Friday is cause for celebration. But for me, this week, Friday only means that Monday will bring the "real world" and its responsibilities. I won't be able to just sit and write and write and write. I'll be lesson planning. And grading.

(In fact, as much as I had intended to not let this happen, I've got things to grade right now. I've avoided them all week in favor of writing. But now it's time to pay the piper.)

The bright side is there, however: Monday starts the fourth quarter of the year, which means the end is in sight. If I can make it to June 6th, then I have until late August to write all I want.

This break has been really good for me and for Awaking. It's been quite some time since I've actually finished a draft that I've started (perhaps even since the first draft of this particular book -- which was a long time ago). That I'm 35,000 words into this draft right now is a triumph.

I only wish I could write faster. Maybe that'll be my goal for book two of the trilogy. Or, let's face it, the rest of book one.

I think I'm going to focus all my energy on finishing this trilogy before I work on anything else. Maybe this seems like the obvious choice, but I've really been struggling with this. I've got the promising beginnings of a sports-related story (another rewrite) and I'm really excited to finish that one off. But I'm thinking that trilogy first is going to be the wisest choice. But what to work on after that is the question that begs to be answered now. I was talking with my husband about this last night: I don't know if I'm genre-specific--and I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I've got a few supernatural-type stories kicking around, but I've got just as many (more?) realistic fiction ideas. I'm not sure whether this will work for me or against me in the long run.

Speaking of decisions, I'm currently trying to decide something about the actual release of Awaking. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be prudent to wait until book two is also complete and release them back-to-back. I'm still considering the wisdom (or folly) behind this idea. Any insights?

Okay. It's after nine o'clock and I haven't written nearly as much as I should have today. And today, sadly, is probably the last day I'll have for a while to really sit and just write. Tomorrow I move my sister in to live with me, and Sunday I'm playing at church...and, let's face it, getting ready for the work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment