Monday, April 25, 2011

cut or keep

Well, I've got a rough first draft of Awaking completed. Well, "completed" is perhaps the wrong word to us. I'm missing probably a dozen or so pages--I just skipped over them in favor of writing something over staring blankly at my computer screen.

I printed out all the pages I have so far, I've read through most of them, made some notes, corrected some errors, highlighted some hads...But now I'm to the point where I started skipping stuff to begin with. And I'm faced with the same question that plagued me before: Do I keep a character or do I cut her? In the original plan for this series, she had a definite role to play, but so many things have changed since then. I'm not sure whether she fits anymore. So I can't fill in the spaces now until I decide whether this character stays or goes.

I want her to stay, but I'm not sure if she'll just be taking up space if she does.

So, I guess I need to get into detail about the next two books to see if she has a definite purpose. I always tend to plan my stories out in broad strokes, allowing the characters to fill in the little things. But I don't think that'll work here. Since it's a trilogy, things need to be a bit more planned out.

Sigh. So not my style. But if it'll serve my purposes/help me writing these books faster/make everything better/cause bunnies to leap for joy, I'll do it.

So, I'm going to take an aspirin (woke up with a headache I've been hoping would go away but hasn't yet), perhaps get a scoop of ice cream, snuggle Fat Baby, and tackle this character conundrum.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment